Sunday, July 26, 2009

So this week has been ... interesting. Well I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your tape. I have had some things on my mind that have been concerning me. The reason I am not going into detail is because I have decided to not let this affect me. I am on a mission. This is my short period of time to give everything to the Lord. One night I couldn't really sleep and I was just praying for comfort and guidance. Then the quote by president Hinckley's father came to mind. "FORGET YOURSELF AND GO TO WORK". So I decided that is what I must do. It's interesting to be in a place where you really have no one to just talk to about your feelings or something that is bothering you. That is except the Lord. I am so grateful for the chance I have been given to 100% rely on the Lord. With no best friend or mother to cry to. lol. Anyways. I have already seen a difference in myself as I have made a strong effort to focus 100% of my thoughts and deeds on this work. The deeds part is easy... the thoughts part is a bit of a challenge. haha. I know that as I surrender my will and my dreams and my hopes during this time in my life to do only what the Lord wants done, I will find what will really bring me happiness. The work will be easier and my burdens will not be my burdens anymore. ANYWAYS... thank you for your support. Your tape was a tender mercy for sure.

So on to happier things. We helped a less active lady a couple of weeks ago pull up the carpet in her apartment and clean up the place a bit and so this week she made us dinner to repay us. She is from Belize and o man it was so delicious and yes... she taught me how to make some of it myself. Sweet plantains are now my specialty. haha. But the coolest part was after the lesson we taught her about the temple and during the lesson I felt prompted to promise her that if she prepared to go the temple and then attended regularly that her family would see a difference in her and have a desire to learn about the gospel (which they are not receptive to at this point in time). After I said it I thought WHOA... did I really just say that? Where did that come from? It was really awesome to feel the spirit teach through me and that I could make promises that God wanted for her.

So funny story: We were sleeping one night and I awoke to a noise but I was too sleepy to realize what it was. Then I kept hearing these cracks and pops and bangs outside of our apartment. Then I heard fire trucks. Lots of them. I was so delirious that I didn't quite know what it was until I smelt smoke and burning rubber. So I got up at like 4 am and looked out the window only to see nothing but dark smoke and the lights of the fire trucks shining though right in front of our apartment. I freaked out and yelled "SISTER GET UP OUR APARTMENT BUILDING IS ON FIREEEEEE!!!" She obviously jumped up and then followed me out to the other sisters room. Man I was panicked so many thoughts went through my head. one being "man I am glad all my clothes are ugly, I dont care that they will burn". haha. So I run into the other room and again yell "GET UP OUR APARTMENT IS ON FIRE!!" One of the sisters bolted up like we did and the other one laughed. Then she explained to me that she had been up for like the last hour watching what really had happened. A car had crashed into a truck in the street in front of our apartment. It was pretty intense but still ... no fire in our apartment. haha. The car had caught on fire and that's what I saw. Its funny what happens when you are half asleep and possibly high on rubber. :D

So the work is going well we are working on getting our ward members excited to share the gospel with their friends. We are going to try and do the pass along card thing that they did in our ward a while ago. One person gives a card away, then passes it to someone else to do. This week I did have the chance to bear my testimony about the family proclamation which I JUST LOVE. Especially with my major in school I am so glad to know what God expects from each of us and our families.

Keep sending me recipes mom. I like to hear quick little things I can make. Well I gotta rush off. We are going to the Holocaust museum on the bottom of the island. WOOt..

Love you all to the moon and back

I love being a missionary!!!
-Sis

No comments: