So blah... I'm so flustered right now because we just went to get hair cuts and we went to a hair school that was giving away free hair cuts... should have known it was a bad idea. I knew they would be new and so I just asked for a trim... an hour later I find my hair less than an inch shorter... I was like .. ok that's good thanks. Then my comp had to go and she has about 1967969 times the amount of hair I do and she wanted layers... haha. 2 and a half hours later... she was also disappointed in her cut and we left. haha. Any whoo I am just glad its over. BUTTT BACK TO THIS WEEK
So we have been meeting with one of our investigators regularly and he is so fantastic. He is so excited about his baptism. We had an interesting lesson on Thursday though. So he lost track of time and was late for his appointment (which is so not like him btw). And so instead of going to our usual spot we decided to just teach him on a bench. So there we were just minding our own business when this homeless man came up and begged for money. We kindly declined but he was not ok with that. He yelled and was obviously drunk and or high and was like "you have bibles in your hands you hypocrites" blah blah blah. We tried to talk to him like a human being and asked him his name and he was not having any of it. He decided he wouldn't leave until we gave him something. He said "I do this for a living, you think I am amature? that you are the first people I have asked for money from? I have gotten money from celebrities!" Then he so sweetly named all the celebrities who had given him money. Mean while I looked over at our sweet little investigator and he was saying a prayer! It was so cute! Finally the member we were with was like fine, I will take you to buy something to eat. The best part about the story is that we were teaching about Tithing and Fast offerings and how you can be at peace knowing that the money you donate goes to people who really need it and its not given as handouts which foster dependency on other. It was ridiculous but nice to use as an example in our lesson. I wanted to point something out too that's pretty sweet. Our investigator is a student at Columbia university. And since he lives in the dorms there we teach him on campus. So... I TEACH AT COLUMBIA! Woot and Ivy League school .. at my age. Who woulda thought? haha. The campus is so beautiful. We also have Julliard in our area now. Those students are so great!
Something cool that happened this week is that Thursday night the zone leaders called us and told us that we were going on a split with sis smith (the mission president's wife) the next day! I was super nervous but also excited because I always here about the miracles that the elders see when they go on splits and especially when with the president. It was her first time doing it and the reason she was doing it is because President Bednar told her that she needed to go out with the sisters and see what we go through, a King Benjamin approach. So she came to our appointment and we taught the Word Of Wisdom. It was a powerful lesson and I talked about Grandpa Tom and how amazing he was and I was getting super emotional and I got the feeling that I needed to extend him a baptismal date. And to this point he hadn't and skirted around the idea every time. But I followed my prompting and HE ACCEPTED!!!! Yay! He is now progressing toward his baptism and is excited about it! It was such a cool experience. It will be so good for both this young man and his recent convert father. So we got to see a miracle with sis smith. Shes so sweet too it was nice to get to know her better. Shes much different than sis searle. I would just describe her as fun and young and spunky.
So yesterday at service they were totally filming law in order at the church above the food pantry we work at. How cool is that? Too bad I have never seen the show before or maybe I would have recognized the celebrities. hahaha
So I got your package. Thanks a million. You are so sweet. I love the rice. I will live off of it. But now that we are in two wards we are getting a lot more meals. We got to go to this place this week called mamma mexico's. They make you fresh guacamole right at your table! So cool. We don't usually get to go out to eat but it was a nice treat!
We are excited for a baptism on Friday! She is so excited too. The whole Young Women's is also excited! That will make 6 yw now I think. Life is so different on this side of the country.
LOVE YOU ALL TO THE MOON AND BACK!
-taters
No comments:
Post a Comment